Tuesday, November 30, 2010

TED assignment


“What’s wrong about what we eat” Mark Bittman
Bittman says that 30% of the earth is covered by animals that will be eaten, this is a little disgusting to me, but hearing that 10 billion animals are killed every year only in the U.S is outrageous, how can we consume so much meat? He also enfasizes that lifestyle diseases are more prevalent in our country and this is a consequence of our diet. I was shocked to hear that livestock is the second higest contributor to atmosphere altering gases! It makes me sad that this information is not really said to the public, the government should do something about it, and fast.

“School lunches” Ann Copper
Even though we read Fast food Nation and Schlosser  informed us of the kind of food that is served in school cafeterias it is still upsetting to hear it again. Ann Copper has a solution to this problem it is called “Sustainable food” plant, grow, and consume our own food. It was also disturbing to hear that the government spends more money on prisoners per year than they do in school lunch programs, they only focus on the money and do not think about the health of the children; if their diets are not controlled Copper believes that human beings will extinct.  Copper is doing an amazing job in her sustainable program she is not only feeding the kids healthy meals, but she is also teaching them how to grow vegetables, and how to cook. We need more people like Ann Copper in this world! I will be using Copper’s speech in my research paper the part where she talks about how the heavy marketing affects our addiction to fast and unhealthy food.

 “Teach every child about food” Jamie Oliver
It was sad to see the video of Oliver in a school where the children did not know the difference between a carrot and celery. Oliver like Bittman, and Copper  agrees that if nothing done children will live 10 years less than their parents, this is sad and scary, I really want to change my eating habits I want to have healthy kids. Oliver’s how to make a difference list is very interesting and I’m sure we would all benefit from it –Supermarkets need a food expert to help the shoppers –Food education should be a priority  -Kids need to be fed fresh food, and should be taught how to cook. 

15 comments:

  1. We eat alot of meat! It is in almost everything we eat, whether in solid or liquid form!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We share a global plate and if we dont change our ways we are going to be extinct.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is scary to think how we have been taught to eat meat with each meal all of our lives. No wonder we will become extinct.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! We need more people like here to help teach our children to cultivate real food

    ReplyDelete
  5. Education is the most important, yet underlooked and underfunded aspect of our society. It is somewhat sad we as a society need to be reeducated in food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right, 10 million murdered animals is waayyyyy too many!Good blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These three videos give us more educational information, and are very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We do a lot of meat, if my mom doesn't make some type of meat for dinner every day my dad gets mad

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was also shocked with all the information Ann Copper shared regarding school lunches.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think at least in our generation we knew our vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Olivers speech was my favorite by far, and you did a great job of highlighting all his best points!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't see the video with the Oliver guy but kids not know the difference between the two veggies is amazing. I might have to watch that video now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is depressing. How much meat does America have to consume to be satisfied? Geesh. I loved Oliver's and Bittman's videos, I got so much out of it! Great blog btw.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how your blog! I really only enjoyed the two guys' videos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dang we do eat a lot of animals, that's pretty nasty.

    ReplyDelete